A clean or safe boot on your PC or Mac can help fix problems installing, launching, or accessing game content. It disables background tasks that can cause interference with your games.
These steps, especially for PC, can harm your computer if not done the right way. If you’re not 100% comfortable doing them on your own, we recommend having a computer professional help you.
If you're running Windows 10 follow these steps to clean boot:
- Open the Start menu by clicking the Windows icon in the bottom left of your screen.
- Type msconfig in the search box and press Enter. This will bring up the System Configuration window.
- Click on the Services tab.
- Check the box to Hide all Microsoft Services, then click the Disable all button to the right.
- Click on the Startup tab, then Open Task Manager.
- Once the list fully loads, right-click and choose Disable on each of the programs listed.
- Close the Task Manager window to go back to the System Configuration window.
- Click OK to save your changes, then restart your computer.
Need help with Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows 8/8.1? Check out the Microsoft instructions for performing a clean boot in older versions of Windows.
The first thing you need to do is to re-enable your start-up programs.
- Follow the steps above again but at step 6 right-click and enable all of your programs again.
- Then click Apply and restart your computer.
Next, you should consider running an MSinfo32 report on your computer and sharing it with us so we can help you figure out what’s going wrong.
If your game works properly after you’ve clean booted your computer, it means that something that runs on your PC at start-up is interfering with your game.
To figure out what’s causing the problem:
- Follow the steps above again but check the box beside one of the programs in the list to allow it to run when Windows starts up.
- If everything works well, you know that program is not causing the problem.
- If you see the same problem you did before, you will need to keep this program from starting when you reboot. Uncheck the box beside it and restart your computer.
- To check that program is the only one causing a problem, run through the steps again and again. Each time add another program at start-up by checking the box beside it.
- Once you’ve prevented any conflicting programs from running at start-up you should have a smoother experience.
Apple instructions for performing a Safe Boot on your Mac.
Was this article helpful?
0% of 0 players found this article helpful.
Not what you were looking for?
Try searching again.